Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Eyesight and Mrs Magoo

Talking About Eyesight  - and Mrs. Magoo!!!

This not medical advice just recounting one family's story.

          For 11 years I watched my mother's eyesight decline.  She had macular degeneration and cataracts.  She  had laser surgery  in Florida(her 70's). She had hard lenses implanted.   By the time she got to New York, she had developed the wet kind of macular degeneration  (bleeding) .  This is the kind that requires shots of Lucentis or Avastin to stop the bleeding of the moment.

As heredity would have it - I too have developed Age Related  Degeneration -  It was diagnosed 710 10years ago and it is still the dry kind.  That was May 2010.  I do not know if this is important, but it seems that May is when I have noticed differences in my vision.  In May of 2015, a lavender-colored triangle type shape developed in my right eye.  In May of 2016,  change in my vision on the left side -- In May of 2017, a lavender hue in my left eye.  While folks are curious about what I can see or can 't see.  It is illusive describe.

The light of the day makes a huge difference as well as use of artificial lighting etc.     Because light varies, what I can see also varies.  My eyes do not adjust from outside to inside light very quickly if at all.

If the sun goes under, some vision seems to disappear. The light of the day, ambient lighting affects details, especially centrally. The center vision continues to erode.  Drivers license has been relinquished,,  driving is unsafe for me and others,  I am not living gracefully into this reality

Colors are also affected and distinguishing some is fading.  This is probably the most distressing. At a distance, groups of people are enveloped in a gray purple haze.  But again lighting and proximity are everything at this point.

Some ask why not have cataract surgery?  Retinalogists have advised against it. Research and mom's experience seem to back this up. There is data to suggest that cataract surgery can advance macular degen in some folks.  Or be of no advantage. Since it seems to have done harm for my mom, I have chosen not too.

 A noted ethnologist at Duke has said 'my dry macular is so advanced that he did not think cataract surgery would be useful". A local Retinalogist also agreed that cataracts surgery is not always beneficial,   Trying to keep the eyesight that I have as long as I can is the goal.  Some supplements were suggested and to maintain the use of eye vitamins. increase leafy greens in the diet and antioxidants are also advised,

An Ophthalmologist encouraged the lens implant with cataract surgery claiming that the lens and the retina are two entirely different parts of the eye.  Ultimately, the decision is up to the individual.  Maybe this is useful for some of you. 

Another thing to note:  because details are sketchy at best - my mind's eye seems to fill in the blanks when the details are unclear; coming to the wrong conclusion!

Illustration: Try to contain your laughter.     Our dog Sophie frequently finds a comfortable spot under the dining room table to nap.  While sitting in my chair in the living room, a distance beyond my detailed vision, I   called to her.  She would not come. I was a little worried so I went to see what was wrong.  When I arrived at where "Sophie" was laying,   I found it was the vacuum cleaner!  The approx size, color and shape of the vacuum tricked my eye into reading what I saw as my dog.  Now I more fully appreciate Mr. Magoo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

JUne 25

June 25 is a day for remembering -  Sure it is end of school year - beginning of vacations etc.  But for many we remembers the floods and th...